Table of Contents
- The Top Shampoos for Dry Scalp
- Why Your Scalp Is Dry And Flaky
- Fighting The Pain Of Dry Scalp With The Best Dry Scalp Shampoos Reviews
- Pure Tea Tree Oil Shampoo-The Best Natural Shampoo
- Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp Care with Almond Oil Dandruff Shampoo-Best Budget-friendly Dry Scalp Shampoo
- Regenepure – DR Shampoo-The Best Scalp Treatment Shampoo
- Puriya Scalp Therapy-The Best Hair Loss Shampoo
- Nioxin Scalp Recovery Cleanser-The Best Shampoo for Flaking and Itching
- Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo-The Best Fast-acting Shampoo
- ArtNaturals Dandruff Shampoo-The Best Nourishing Shampoo
- Amplixin Scalp Therapy Shampoo-The Best Dandruff-prevention Shampoo
- The Wonder Tree Hemp Oil Shampoo-The Best Organic Formula Shampoo
- Maple Holistics Argan Oil Shampoo-The Best Gentle Treatment Shampoo
- Buyer’s Guide to the Best Shampoos for Dry Scalp
It seemed like puberty literally hit me when I turned 13. It led me through a self obsessive phase that shaped me into, and I say it with pride, the hopeful yet pragmatic individual I am today. The outcome of growing up dealing with pimples, untamed hair, and a misaligned sense of fashion was an experimental person ready to try anything. I have, thus, ploughed through a tonne of fads and products in about two decades and have picked up a few gems along the way.
Black was my most trusted friend, wardrobe-wise, I found out early on. It saved me so much effort. The formula was gold; little black dress, pants, shirt, tee, pullover, everything… I always looked sharp, or presentable, at least. This however came with a whole new issue. I watched my life moment playing out in dandruff advertisements where the guy has to rethink his fashion choices because of the white flakes on his shoulders. That was my story, but just the “before” part. I’ve come a long way from that today and I should say am dandruff free and black continues to be my favorite color.
The Top Shampoos for Dry Scalp
|Pure Tea Tree Oil Shampoo||Dry scalp,|
seborrheic dermatitis, head lice, dandruff
|Tee tree oil|
|Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp Care with Almond Oil Dandruff Shampoo||Dry scalp, dandruff||Pyrithione zinc (1%)|
|Regenepure - DR Shampoo||Dry scalp,|
seborrheic dermatitis, dandruff
|Puriya Shampoo, Natural Dandruff Shampoo||Itchy, flaky, dry scalp, psoriasis, Seborrheic dermatitis||Tea tree, arnica, sage and rosemary|
|DNioxin Scalp-Recovery Cleanser for Dry and Itchy Scalp||Seborrheic dermatitis, dandruff||Pyrithione zinc|
|Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo Original Formula||Dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis||Coal tar (20 mg/ml)|
|ArtNaturals Dandruff Shampoo, Coal Tar with Argan Oil||Itchy scalp, clear symptoms of psoriasis, eczema||Coal Tar (3%)|
|Amplixin Scalp Therapy Shampoo with Caffeine and Tea Tree Oil||Dandruff and itchy, flaky scalp||Aloe vera, tea tree oil, caffeine and rosemary extract|
|The Wonder Seed Hemp Shampoo||Dandruff, itchy and flaky scalp, eczema, psoriasis||Hemp seed oil, organic aloe vera, ginseng extract, coconut oil, nettle extract, jojoba oil, cocoa butter|
|Maple Holistics Argan Oil Shampoo||Hair loss, dry hair and flaking scalp||With argan, jojoba, avocado, almond, peach kernel, camellia seed, keratin|
Why Your Scalp Is Dry And Flaky
Before we dive into this, let us take time to understand the issue that dandruff is. That flaky skin falling off our scalps and causing so much embarrassment could actually be one of two things or both. There is plain dry skin that is a lack of moisture that we suffer during cold weather or some sort of contact dermatitis. Then there is dandruff that is a result of oily hair follicles that cause a build-up of greasy dead skin cells that eventually shed.
The understanding of the underlying issue had changed my focus on the type of products I go for. It was dry skin that showed up on my collar so I figured, in long eventuality, that it was because my scalp needed hydration. I also found out because the products that seemed to do the job were moisturising in nature, be it shampoo, conditioner or moisturizer.
Fighting The Pain Of Dry Scalp With The Best Dry Scalp Shampoos Reviews
Pure Tea Tree Oil Shampoo-The Best Natural Shampoo
Maple Holistics is quite the response to today’s conscious consumer looking for natural remedies. Among their line of products is the tea tree oil shampoo which I discovered online as to be quite popular. It is the absence of two common shampoo ingredients – parabens and sulfates – that are considered as carcinogens which is the draw. For those who are dealing with dandruff but wish to keep things natural, you might want to try the Maple Holistics tea tree oil shampoo
The star ingredient, tea tree oil, known for its germicidal properties fights off bacteria, yeast and fungus that are mostly the cause of itchy scalp and dandruff. This, in combination with the other essential oils including rosemary, lavender, argan and jojoba oil present in the concoction, hydrate the scalp which you will remember is a major cause of flaky skin.
- Pure Tea Tree Oil Shampoo - Natural Essential Oil Anti-Dandruff Shampoo For Dry Itchy & Flaky Scalp - Anti-fungal & Anti-Bacterial - Sulfate Free Hydrating Cleanser - Prevent Head Lice & Thinning Hair
- HAIR GROWTH THERAPY SHAMPOO for women, men and children. Promotes fast hair growth and regrowth for strengthened, luscious locks. The best formula to eliminate hair loss, shedding and thinning hair.
- TEA TREE MOISTURIZING SHAMPOO FOR DANDRUFF hydrates the scalp, locks in moisture & cleans the hair follicles to encourage healthy hair & skin. It soothes irritated itchy scalp & eliminating flakes.
- OUR HEAD LICE TREATMENT SHAMPOO naturally eradicates lice. Our alternative chemical free, botanical lice prevention with lavender and rosemary, gets rid of lice in colored, processed and natural hair.
- SAFE AND EFFECTIVE HYPOALLERGENIC SULFATE FREE tea tree shampoo for sensitive skin nourishes the scalp as it prevents flakes and lice. Our formula will leave your hair feeling rejuvenated and fresh.
- The product is natural and is also GMO and cruelty free besides being sulfate and paraben free.
- It is also useful in treating seborrheic dermatitis, head lice, hair loss, dandruff, and inflammation, issues which may accompany dry scalp.
- If it doesn’t do the job, there is a money back guarantee on offer.
- Finally, for those who do not like heavily fragrant shampoo, this is a great option.
For all its benefits, it is no surprise it comes with a steep price tag.
Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp Care with Almond Oil Dandruff Shampoo-Best Budget-friendly Dry Scalp Shampoo
Head and Shoulders has always been prominent among the brands of shampoos claiming to do away with our flaky issue. The shampoo will always find a place on my bathroom shelf. It gets the job done. The almond oil in the shampoo does well to hydrate the scalp as it is easily absorbed while pyrithione zinc and simultaneously deals with the dandruff. There are, of course, other products in this line to deal with other requirements like extra conditioning, or cooling for that extra itchy scalp. The product claims being dermatologically tested and works its magic in two weeks of use; it has for me at least. Its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and germicidal properties are just added benefits that I’ll take any day.
- Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care with Almond Oil anti-dandruff shampoo moisturizes dry hair & scalp
- The fact that it’s a well known brand waive off certain concerns of trust.
- The cost is reasonable considering natural products usually hit the pocket hard.
- The family twin pack it comes in is good for bigger families.
- It contains sulfates and might put off those looking for more natural remedies.
- Another matter of preference is the fragrance which is quite masculine.
Regenepure – DR Shampoo-The Best Scalp Treatment Shampoo
This one is a mix of hydrating goodness that I highly recommend. Packed with a range of extracts, oils and vitamin the formula nurture the follicles. And then they went on to add caffeine to the mix, yet another ingredient I will not shy away from. The active ingredients – ketoconazole and salicylic acid work on preserving hair follicles. Its anti fungal property also helps target seborrheic dermatitis while the salicylic acid exfoliates the dandruff away solving your main issue. Those looking to avoid parabens and sulfates will be happy to know that the shampoo doesn’t contain the compounds.
Jojoba oil, which is known to promote hair growth, has been added for extra hydration. To improve upon it, emu oil has been added to improve the health of the scalp; the oil derived from the flightless bird has always been believed by the aborigine of Australia to be useful for the treatment of skin ailment. Finally, for it cooling effect, aloe vera was incorporated, along with vitamins n zinc oxide. Dare we ask for more?
- FOR MEN AND WOMEN: This specially formulated shampoo works for both men and women without sulfates, parabens, DEA and harsh chemicals.
- GREAT FOR THE FOLLICLES: Regenepure DR is an anti DHT shampoo that contains powerful ingredients that work to remove the DHT build up, sebum, and toxins from the scalp and follicles to make way for new growth.
- SAFE FOR TREATED HAIR: The Regenepure DR shampoo is safe for colored and keratin treated hair, free of harmful chemicals paraben and sodium dodecyl sulfate (SLS) which can cause damage to the hair and the scalp.
- DRY SCALP RELIEF: Regenepure DR helps to reduce flaking. Your scalp and your confidence will thank you.
- THE REGENEPURE LINE: The versatile line of Regenepure products can be used in a variety of combinations to cater to everyone's individual hair types. Whether your hair is average/normal, oily, dry, or a combination of the two, we have the recommended treatment just for you
The benefits listed are numerous.
- They include hair thickening and scalp treatment.
- The product is Sulfate-free and paraben-free and hence attractive to many, not to mention that it is not tested on animals.
It’s slightly steep on the pocket but absolutely worth it.
Puriya Scalp Therapy-The Best Hair Loss Shampoo
Along with the embarrassment of a flaky scalp comes the irritation of an itchy head. It’s just unbecoming on both counts. Puriya Scalp therapy is one of the better treatments for these issues. The anti fungal ingredients including tea tree oil, sage, arnica, and rosemary work together to hydrate dry scalp and itchiness. Made with natural ingredients, the product is safe to use on a daily basis and not limited to any age group or hair type. I saw a difference within a few days of use.
It has also worked wonders on hair fall for people I have suggested this to. This is probably because of the scalp care the product provides.
- EFFECTIVELY STOPS SCALP ITCHING AND FLAKING. The best proprietary herbal blend of Tea Tree Oil, Arnica, Sage and Rosemary contains potent antifungal properties that effectively stop scalp itching and flaking. An improvement is noticeable after only a few applications. Use it daily for a more severe condition. No more embarrassing white flakes on your shoulders or clothing. No more fighting off the urge to itch in public.
- DEEPLY HYDRATES SCALP AND HAIR. This recovery clarifying treatment adds moisture and nutrients to your dry scalp and hair as well as increases scalp blood circulation. Continued use will return your scalp to its healthy state and may even reverse the effects of hair loss.
- COMPLETELY AND GENTLY REMOVES RESIDUE & BUILD-UP. Scalp Therapy Shampoo gently and completely removes build-up from hair. Your hair will have the shine and luster you have always dreamed of. With just one washing, your hair will feel silky and easy to brush or comb without feeling oily.
- NATURALLY DERIVED INGREDIENTS. Free of Sulfate, Paraben, Sodium Chloride and fragrance. Unlike most anti-dandruff med products, this formula contains no harsh chemicals and is PH balanced. It is safe for all hair types including damaged, curly, fine and color treated hair. Men, women, kids, children and even pets will enjoy the shampoo's pleasant natural scent.
- 180 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: Try it now... Risk Free! If you do not feel that our product has effectively cleared your dandruff, relieved your itchy scalp, repaired your damaged hair, or left your hair with a Keratin-treatment-like silk and shine, please contact us (Puriya Store) immediately for a full refund, no questions asked. Sound fair? Order today with fast shipping so you can try the shampoo the day it arrives.
- Again, the naturally derived ingredients will attract those looking to find an alternate way to treat dandruff and dry scalp.
- The shampoo is free of sulfates, paraben, sodium chloride as well as synthetic fragrances.
- It is gentle on scalp and hair as it has been ph balanced and suited to all ages and hair types.
- And, if it doesn’t work, there is a 180 day money back guarantee.
- The fragrance might not be up to everyone’s liking and may not be suitable for users of all ages.
- It is slightly expensive.
Nioxin Scalp Recovery Cleanser-The Best Shampoo for Flaking and Itching
The active ingredient of Nioxin Scalp Recovery Cleanser is pyrithione zinc, a known anti-fungal component that fights flaking and relieves itching. And the shampoo really does deliver in this regard. Unlike the other products on this list, however, it doesn’t get big marks for containing natural ingredients. It’s not sulfate-free either. If this is an issue with you, I recommend trying the other natural shampoos I’ve listed. However, it does the job pretty well and if you’re looking for something that work quickly, this is it.
- Pyrithione zinc reduces flaking and itching.
- The shampoo lathers quite well and if you love a good mass of bubbles, you’ll certainly like this!
- The shampoo contains a lot of synthetic chemicals, which may be irritating to some users.
- It contains sulfates and sodium chloride too, the latter of which is linked to dry scalp.
Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo-The Best Fast-acting Shampoo
Neutrogena’s T-Gel Therapeutic Shampoo is specially formulated to treat dry scalp and itchiness. The company claims its effects can be seen in just one use but it took several washes to work for me. Still, the fact that it reduced dryness and itchiness is what has me listing the product. If any of you have psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis, it will quite possible do the job as it’s designed for these two conditions as well. You don’t need to use the shampoo frequently. Once a week makes a difference too, which leads me to believe that the formula is pretty potent.
- 16-fluid ounce bottle of Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic and Anti-Dandruff Shampoo to get long lasting relief from itching and flaking
- Original therapeutic formula helps control scalp itching and flaking caused by chronic scalp psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis and even common dandruff
- Contains coal tar extract, which scientific tests have proved continues to work for hours after the shampoo is rinsed off
- From the #1 dermatologist-recommended brand, this dandruff treatment shampoo helps maintain a healthy scalp and leaves hair clean and manageable
- Designed for daily use. For best results, use at least twice a week or as directed by a doctor. Massage shampoo into your scalp, lather, leaving on your hair and scalp for several minutes, and then rinse
- It’s highly effective against dry scalp and you’ll get relief in just a few washes.
- The active ingredient is coal tar, which is known to alleviate dryness and itchiness.
- While the fast-action formula is a big plus, it contains certain ingredients that are considered harmful and irritating such as sulfate.
- You may want to try other sulfate-free shampoos from the list if this is a concern.
- The fragrance is pretty chemical too, which can put people off.
ArtNaturals Dandruff Shampoo-The Best Nourishing Shampoo
Coal tar. It may not sound like the most appealing or the safest ingredient to put on your scalp but it’s been used for ages to treat dandruff, scalp psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis. ArtNaturals knows this too because its dandruff shampoo containing coal tar has really helped with my dry scalp, especially reducing the itching. It could be due to the inclusion of argan oil and jojoba too. The formula is very gentle, which is a big plus if you have sensitive skin. According to the company, the essential oils repair split ends and nourish the hair. While I can’t vouch for the split-end part (trimming them is the only cure), the product does make hair silkier and a lot softer. I wouldn’t be surprised if it prevented split ends rather than cure it.
- Art naturals' scalp 18 therapeutic anti-dandruff shampoo rushes relief from dry scalp and and seborrheic dermatitis
- Key ingredients tar and coal have been used for generations to treat a host of skin and scalp conditions
- Scalp 18 is also infused with deeply hydrating all-natural oils, including jojo-ba and argan
- Itching and flaking are stopped, while healthy, shiny hair returns
- Cruelty-free product
- It contains argan oil and jojoba oil and coal tar.
- It’s free of sulfates and parabens and isn’t tested on animals.
Although not yet proven, some believe that coal tar may be linked to cancer. If you aren’t comfortable with this, I suggest you pick another shampoo from the list.
Amplixin Scalp Therapy Shampoo-The Best Dandruff-prevention Shampoo
I’ve read that caffeine can cause dry scalp and even dandruff but I’m happy to say it only wakes me up! This brings me to Amplixin Scalp Therapy Shampoo, a doctor-reviewed product that contains caffeine and tea tree oil. According to the company – who quoted the International Journal of Dermatology – caffeine can be a stimulator for hair growth when applied topically. That’s good news for all us coffee lovers who can’t do without our daily dose of java!
Aside from caffeine, the shampoo contains tea tree oil, known for its anti-fungal and moisturizing properties, and aloe vera, which alleviates irritation. The trio of ingredients really do deliver and the product significantly reduces dry scalp and itchiness. I’ve also noticed a drop in dandruff.
- Doctor reviewed, certified and approved daily shampoo for dandruff prevention and itchy, flaky scalp
- Made with natural aloe Vera, tea tree oil, caffeine and rosemary extract for maximum effect
- Can be used by men, women and on all hair types - normal, damaged or color treated hair
- 100% Sulfate (sls) & paraben free, no harsh chemicals or irritants and never tested on animals
- Manufactured with care in the state of the art fda registered facility in California
- It’s free of sulfates and parabens and isn’t tested on animals.
- It’s suitable for all hair types as well as for men and women.
- Like a lot of products that don’t contain sulfate, the shampoo doesn’t lather much and you may feel the need to use more. You don’t have to, of course, as the ingredients will do what they’re supposed to.
- Some users also say that it doesn’t really reduce itching and a few have said that they had a negative reaction.
The Wonder Tree Hemp Oil Shampoo-The Best Organic Formula Shampoo
Hemp oil is an undervalued ingredient but thanks to a growing number of companies including it in their products, more people are beginning to know about its benefits. The Wonder Seed is one such company and its hemp shampoo is testament to how good the stuff is.
The formula is 100 percent natural – which is a big plus – and contains several other ingredients known to reduce flaking and itching. It has aloe vera, ginseng, jojoba and cocoa butter to moisturize the scalp and hair.
The shampoo is color-safe too so all you readers who have recently colored your hair can rest assured. But what I really love about The Wonder Seed’s hemp oil shampoo is that it doesn’t contain any toxins. This means no sulfates, no parabens and even no fragrance. If you have sensitive skin, you know this matters. It’s cruelty-free too!
- NATURAL & ORGANIC FORMULA: We've blended virgin organic hemp seed oil with organic aloe vera, ginseng extract, coconut oil, nettle extract, jojoba oil, cocoa butter, and other all natural ingredients to create a hemp oil shampoo that is a treat for your hair and great for the environment.
- REVITALIZE YOUR HAIR: The optimal blend of the all natural shampoo gently cleanses all hair types and seals in moisture to give your locks strength, elasticity, healthy bounce and shine, all while keeping oily and dry hair in control. The Wonder Seed hemp shampoo is 100% color safe, making it the perfect complement for dyed hair.
- SUPERFOOD FOR YOUR SCALP: By balancing the scalp's natural oil profile and deeply nourishing it, this hempseed organic vegan shampoo works as an effective dry scalp remedy, treatment for itchy & flaky scalp, eczema, & psoriasis, and a great organic dandruff shampoo.
- 100% TOXIN FREE: Enjoy a sulfate free organic shampoo with no parabens, gluten, or artificial colors/ fragrances. We're very proud this being 100% cruelty free shampoo, with the zero-toxin formula making it gentle and clean enough for children and infants.
- FRESH AND EXHILARATING: Infused with organic orange essential oil with a touch of organic jasmine blossom extract, this hemp seed oil shampoo has a refreshingly mild scent that is perfect for both men and women. Treat yourself to the best hair day ever by clicking 'Add to Cart' now!
- The formula is very gentle on the scalp since it doesn’t contain irritants and toxins.
- It’s complete natural and crulty-free.
A few people have said that they developed itchiness and flakiness.
Maple Holistics Argan Oil Shampoo-The Best Gentle Treatment Shampoo
You’ve probably heard about the benefits of argan oil. If you haven’t, it’s time to be informed! This miracle worker is known to nourish hair, giving it life and bounce, and nourish skin by alleviating dryness. It’s this latter that makes it such a great ingredient for combating dry scalp. Maple Holistics knows this, which is why its argan oil shampoo is such a blessing. It moisturizes the scalp to prevent dry skin so you don’t have to worry about itchiness and flaking.
Yet, the benefits don’t stop there. The shampoo also contains ingredients we know and love such as jojoba, which balances oil production; keratin, which reduces frizz; and almond oil, which restores moisture. Combined, they make a powerful team that work to eliminate dry scalp once and for all. I need to mention that the product is cruelty-free, which as many of us know by now, is an aspect that we should all consider!]
- 【Dry Hair Relief 】Argan shampoo contains nourishing oils for hair and scalp health. This natural shampoo is great for static frizzy curly hair with brittle hair strands for smooth and beautiful hair.
- 【Healthy Looking Hair】 Vitamin A B1 B2 D & E boost strength and protect hair. The Avocado oil, Jojoba oil & Peach Kernel oil rejuvenate and restore frizzy hair and prevent breakage and split ends.
- 【Money Back Guaranteed】our natural beauty and personal care products come with a risk-free refund policy. This daily shampoo for dry hair is sulfate free paraben free cruelty free and made in the USA.
- 【Ultra-Gentle Ingredients】our dry hair shampoo contains no artificial colors or additives and won't irritate sensitive skin and flaking scalp, for damaged hair repair that soothes and hydrates scalp.
- 【Natural Hair Smoothing】Botanical Keratin, Jojoba Oil, Provitamin B5, Argan Oil, Peach Kernel Oil, Almond Oil, Camellia Seed Oil, Avocado Oil replenishes moisture for silky soft and shiny hair.
- Maple Holistics’ argan oil shampoo is a great choice for men, women and teens and works on all hair types.
- It’s loaded with vitamins A, D, E, B1 and B2 as well.
Though I didn’t face any problems with the product, some users have reported that it dries out the hair. It shouldn’t be case but if yours dries out easily too, I’d suggest using a conditioner along with it.
Buyer’s Guide to the Best Shampoos for Dry Scalp
As you can see, there’s a really huge variety of shampoos for dry scalp available today. Natural ingredients that are gentle on skin are what you want to look for along with active ingredients that are known to relieve dry scalp symptoms. While not many lean towards shampoos with too many chemicals, there are some products that do a great job. I suppose it boils down to the concerns you have regarding these – such as sulfates and parabens – and if you’re willing to try them.
How to choose dry scalp shampoo
Dry scalp can be a pain to take care of, not to mention an embarrassment. The itchiness that goes along with it leaves you worrying if anyone will catch you trying to squeeze in a scratch. The worse part? It happens at the darndest times! Meeting, dates, in public – you name it. Yet that’s not even what gets you down.
Choosing the right shampoo is more of a hassle because it so happens that the scalp and the hair are often very different. For instance, you could buy shampoo for itchy scalp but your hair could end up unusually oily or sometimes too dry. Or maybe you don’t like some of the ingredients in which case you’ll be forced to choose another brand. With no many nitty gritties to consider, we’ve put together this handy buying guide to help you in your quest!
Look for dry scalp specific products
There are tons of products in the markets too, so much so that you have a dizzyingly long list to choose from. Shampoos formulated specifically for dry scalp are what you should look for as they aim to rid dryness in the scalp without making hair oily. Of course, it doesn’t work for everyone and some people report that their hair does ultimately get oily.
Avoid ingredients like sulfate
Sulfate is a great lathering agent which is why it’s included in so many beauty and household products. You’ll find it in soaps, detergents, cleaners and shampoos among a few. Despite its extensive use, it’s not good for the health of the scalp and hair. It’s drying and only exacerbates the problem. People with eczema are advised to avoid it all costs too. Those with sensitive skin also do well to stay away from it.
pH-balanced shampoos are important
Optimal pH levels will leave scalp and hair healthy but unfortunately, people aren’t blessed with this. A too-alkaline scalp causes dryness, which means you need to look for shampoos with a lower pH such as 6 or 7. Check the labels of the products before purchasing them to see if they have the pH you need. This way, your scalp won’t be stripped of all its natural oils and you won’t have to suffer the headache of a dry scalp.
Essential oils can help
The best shampoos for dry scalp will include essential oils that balance oil production. There are several you want to look out for.
- Lavender: This universal favorite isn’t just beautifully fragrant but it’s moisturizing too. It cleanses the scalp without drying it out. Search for shampoos that include it or if you can’t quite find what you’re looking for, add a few drops of the oil to your shampoo.
- Lemongrass: Another balancing oil, lemongrass is ideal for dry scalp. The refreshing scent is plus especially in the warmer months.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood is just as good as lavender and lemongrass in balancing oil production. It’s also a very effective cleansing agent.
Opt for more natural products
Not all natural shampoos are gentle or good for dry scalp but they usually contain fewer synthetic ingredients that may be irritating such as sulfates and parabens. They also tend to contain natural oils like those we’ve mentioned. Do read the ingredients carefully to see what the formula is made of and try to choose more natural products.
Helpful tips for dry scalp
The key to managing dry scalp is to restore the natural oils and moisture. There are several ways to do this aside from using the right dry scalp shampoo. Take a look –
- Cut down on hair products: Hair mousse, gel et al may be necessary to keep hair looking fabulous but they can be irritating and cause scalp to dry out. Try to cut down on the number of items you use and tap into your creative side to come up with hair styles that don’t need so many products to hold them in place.
- Shampoo less often: Many people shampoo their hair too frequently in a bid to keep it looking clean and shiny. Yet, that’s probably the worst thing you could do if you have dry scalp. If you’re guilty of shampooing every other day, reduce it to 2 or 3 times a week at the most. Use only a small amount of shampoo with each wash.
- Take extra care in winter: The cold is not dry scalp’s best pal so you need to take even more care in winter. You may want to consider conditioning your scalp at this time if the dryness is extreme. Don’t be alarmed – scalp is skin and needs to be moisturized as well. Just make sure you use only a little product or dilute the conditioner. Remember to rinse your scalp and hair thoroughly after.
Dry scalp is an annoyance and as anyone suffering from it knows, it can seem notoriously tough to get rid of. Fortunately, it’s not all doom and gloom, as we’ve learnt, and there are great shampoos out there that can do the bulk of the work. Once you’ve found the product you need, follow it up with the tips we’ve outlined. You’ll soon be able to say goodbye to dryness and itchiness!